Skip to main content

Quick rundown of Day 1 at PAX

First thing we did was meet up with the Pre-Pax Breakfast group...you guys were great to meet and talk to. After eating we headed to the convention center where we stood/sat in line...forever.  I got some photos of the line and of the beach ball being hit around.  Even a little video.  Another member of my group got pics of Man Peach and some other interesting things we encountered on line.

Once we got in our first order of business was to sign our friend up for the Smash Brothers Tournament and then we headed to the EXPO Hall.  I'll be the first to admit that I was lost there, I'm not a big gamer and I can honestly say that I hadn't heard of more than half of those games.  But I did enjoy myself.  I watched a lot of games being played, asked a few questions about ones I was interested in and even played one of the PAX 10 games.
My friend and I co-oped on the Samurai Sushi game.  I played mouse and she played controller and I really think it's better as a mouse game.  Though the developer/creater/the god of the game said he was just working on making it a controller game and was still working out the functions.  I was really impressed seeing as how it's a one man show when it comes to creating the game.  He told us a Spring release...I know I'll be waiting.

After that we checked out a couple more booths before we got the call that it was time for our friend to head over to get inline for the Smash Brothers tournament.  As we were walking out of the Expo Hall...I saw him...Wil Wheaton was at his booth....I got in line.  The line got cut off a few people  in front of me.  So I walked over to join my friends in line.  While one waited, two of us went to get food...then we sat in the beanbags and ate and played for a good while before heading to the Game Writing Panel.  We got there late, so then we headed back to the Expo Hall.

This time around I tried a DS downloadable demo some game about a character who's an archeologist and an engineer.  It really wasn't my type of game, but the guys who were telling me about the game were really nice.  As I watched my friend test a game, our other friend called, he'd been eliminated so we were going to meet him outside the Expo Hall.

That's when I saw a two people waiting in front of Wil's booth...I stood behind them.  I stood in line for a half hour waiting to meet my first ever crush.  Yes, I had a little girl crush on Wesley Crusher. So it was no hardship for me to wait there in line for him, and it was so worth it.  I purchased one of his books and got a picture.  

My friends left me to go sit in on the RoosterTeeth panel.  I've seen some Red vs. Blue, but I wasn't really familiar with the panel.  But I'm glad I made it there when I did.  They showed off a new animated short and it was great.  I know people were taking video so it's got to be posted somewhere, so I'll probably be watching it again.

After that we headed off to get in line for "The Guild" screening.  I stumbled across The Guild after seeing Felicia Day in Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog.  So we got to watch all 10 episodes and then there was a Q&A session afterwards.  The new episodes start will probably start in October and Felicia has no control over what comes out of her mouth.

After that we called it a night.  We headed back to our hotel, grabbed some more Subway and then ate and watched the original Ocean's Eleven.  Then we promptly all fell asleep.  (hence why this is being posted Saturday morning instead of Friday night.)

Oh I also what to mention that I met a bunch of really great people, and every one was extremely nice.  Can't wait to meet more of you Saturday and Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Sophisticated Dorkiness this week This week's prompt: Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  I don't know if I can pick one favorite, I looked at my list and there are at least 10 that I really enjoyed so far this year. If I had to pick my top three they would be: Caffeinated by Murray Carpenter My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai All three of these books really caught my attention and really made me take a look at my life.  I saw how much of a caffeine addict I really am, how lucky I was to be born in the suburbs in New Jersey, and how with hard wor