Skip to main content

Book Club - June

There was no meeting in May. June's book was supposed to be the second book in the Weston series started in April, but it was changed to Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard. This was my pick for a book, it was the first book I read by Linda Howard and one I can re-read no problem, so I hoped everyone else would like it, we haven't yet read a suspenseful romance book.

- The Story -

Jaine Bright and three close friends share dinner one night and during casual conversation, create a list of qualifications for the perfect man--some logical, some hilariously funny, some racy. Within days, their tongue-in-cheek wish list of attributes for Mr. Perfect has been leaked to the press and the resultant publicity is overwhelming. Coworkers, TV crews, and reporters barrage the quartet with comments and criticism.
As if Jaine doesn't have enough to cope with, she has a new neighbor who she suspects is a criminal. She's relieved to learn that her neighbor is really an undercover cop, but she's still wary--because smart, sexy Sam Donovan handles her sharp witticisms with easy humor, and Jaine suspects that he may threaten her heart. What Jaine doesn't know is that she's about to need Sam desperately for something other than romance because her circle of friends is in big trouble. Unfortunately, that list of qualifications for Mr. Perfect has touched off a madman's rage. All of their lives are threatened and some of them are going to die, maybe all of them, if Sam can't stop the unknown killer.
Mr. Perfect brings to readers the quintessential Linda Howard hero, whose straightforward, "me Tarzan, you Jane" attitude plays well with a smart, witty heroine. The rapid-fire dialogue between the two is downright hilarious at times, even when the two are about to steam up the windows and burn up the sheets. --Lois Faye Dyer (via Amazon.com Reviews)

- The Characters -
Jaine - Jaine Bright is a character I can relate too and one that I'm not ashamed to say I want to be like, she's a girly-girl who can stand her ground with a real man.  She knows fashion but she also knows cars. She can sweet talk you one second and curse you out the next (though she working on the language).  She's quirky in the way she converses with BooBoo and takes pleasures in the little things like getting to mow her lawn for the first time. Jaine also has the courage I wish I could have, I don't know if I could have handled the events that bombard her life during the weeks followed in the book with out having a major break down, yet she holds it together.

Sam -While I want to be like Jaine I want a man like Sam Donovan. Sam is sexy and got a great personality.  He's a real man's man, but he's not scared to show his emotions, soft, angry or any of the others.  He calls Janie on her BS and has no problem standing toe to toe with her with they both get bull headed. He's family orientated, dedicated to his career, and cares about his community.  Hmmm, I think he very well could be a Mr. Perfect.

- Discussion -
Everyone over all liked the book.  Only two other people really loved it and couldn't put it down.  There was talk over who we all thought the killer was and who we thought it wasn't and how surprised (or not so surprised) we were with who it turned out to be, it originally threw me for a twist. There was talk about what it took for Linda Howard to create such an disturbed and well thought out character.

We talked about the relationships in the book between the friends, Jaine and her siblings, and the romantic relationships.  I can't really talk about that more without getting into plot details.  That also goes for some of the things we liked and didn't like about the book.

Some things I like, besides Jaine and Sam:
-how Linda Howard doesn't come right out and tell you what kind of car Jaine is watching for her father.
-how minor characters are developed and included in meaningful ways, including "the geeks"
-the notes the geeks leave by the elevators

Some things I didn't like:
-I can't list the big ones cause again they get into plot details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Sophisticated Dorkiness this week This week's prompt: Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  I don't know if I can pick one favorite, I looked at my list and there are at least 10 that I really enjoyed so far this year. If I had to pick my top three they would be: Caffeinated by Murray Carpenter My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai All three of these books really caught my attention and really made me take a look at my life.  I saw how much of a caffeine addict I really am, how lucky I was to be born in the suburbs in New Jersey, and how with hard wor