Skip to main content

March Book Club


For March we read When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa james.

-Plot-

Miss Linnet Berry Thrynne is a Beauty . . . Naturally, she's betrothed to a Beast.

Piers Yelverton, Earl of Marchant, lives in a castle in Wales where, it is rumored, his bad temper flays everyone he crosses. And rumor also has it that a wound has left the earl immune to the charms of any woman.

Linnet is not just any woman.

She is more than merely lovely: her wit and charm brought a prince to his knees. She estimates the earl will fall madly in love—in just two weeks.

Yet Linnet has no idea of the danger posed to her own heart by a man who may never love her in return.

If she decides to be very wicked indeed . . . what price will she pay for taming his wild heart?
--From goodreads.com.


-Discussion-
Since our meeting was canceled for January and was a chocolate tasting and book browsing for February we discussed both the January and the March book selections.  Lucky for us they were books one and two of Eloisa’s Fairy Tales.  January was A Kiss at Midnight, based on the Cinderella fairy tale and March was When Beauty Tamed the beast, based on the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale.
I enjoyed both books and I have to say I think everyone else did as well (well those of us that read both books), but I really liked the second book more.  When Beauty Tamed the Beast just felt like a more believable story, it was easier to relate to the characters, Linnet and Piers just seemed like people you could meet on the street, you know if you lived back then and they were real. With A Kiss at Midnight there were just aspects that didn’t work for me and I couldn’t connect with Kate and Gabriel. From the discussion it seems that there were others that felt the same or it’s just me thinking that *shrugs* either way we spent more time discussing When Beauty Tamed the Beast. 
One of the more interesting threads of conversation was the discussion of how our hero, Piers, resembles a certain bad tempered TV doctor.  One woman said she picked up on it right away, I drew comparisons but it wasn’t until half way through the book that I was pretty sure, and a few didn’t pick up on the comparison until reading the note at the end where Eloisa James states that Piers is based on Dr. House. 
The other interesting thread was the discussion of what really happened to the footman that was with Linnet.  Did he die or did they burry him alive?  I’m not quite sure but the group was leaning towards the burring alive thought. 
With both books there were scenes that just felt off, more so in A Kiss at Midnight and that plot than with When Beauty Tamed the Beast.  With A Kiss at Midnight the whole plot was just kind of screwy.  Kate was being forced to pretend to be her step sister to impress her fiancé’s cousin who is some kind of German royalty. A lot of the characters were over the top, yet lovable like Kate’s godmother, but it just started to get weird when her father’s faults started to come to light and what Kate thought she knew about her family was completely wrong.  Now When Beauty Tamed the Beast only started off this way and I didn’t think I would like it, but once Kate leaves her father and aunt in London things become “normal” and the character aren’t too over the top or put into awkward situations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Sophisticated Dorkiness this week This week's prompt: Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  I don't know if I can pick one favorite, I looked at my list and there are at least 10 that I really enjoyed so far this year. If I had to pick my top three they would be: Caffeinated by Murray Carpenter My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai All three of these books really caught my attention and really made me take a look at my life.  I saw how much of a caffeine addict I really am, how lucky I was to be born in the suburbs in New Jersey, and how with hard wor