Skip to main content

Review – The Other Wes Moore: The Story of One Name and Two Fates by Wes Moore

Two kids with the same name were born blocks apart in the same decaying city within a few years of each other. One grew up to be a Rhodes Scholar, army officer, White House Fellow, and business leader. The other is serving a life sentence in prison. Here is the story of two boys and the journey of a generation. 
– From book homepage theotherwestmoore.com
I heard about this book when it was being discussed on a number of talk shows.  I thought it sounded interesting and added it to my To Be Read list.  I honestly forgot about it for awhile as I do with most books I add to that list, but then a few things happened that brought it back to my attention.  Before I talk about what brought it back to my attention I want to talk about why it was of interest for me.

Like Wes Moore I know there is someone out there with my same name, who lives in the same area I live in.  Unlike Wes Moore, I’ve known about her since I was about 9 years old.  They brought her file into the room I was in at the doctors and quickly realized that they had two patents with the same first, middle and last names.  Growing up, more so as a teen and now as an adult, I’ve “bumped” into her.  At stores, the library and other locations where they’ll look up your information if you don’t have your discount card or pass to sign in.  It was this connection that had me take interest in the book and add it to my list.

What brought the book back to my attention first was a conversation I had with my mom.  She had talked to my cousin on the phone earlier that day and my cousin told her that a co-worker (who knows my family) had asked her how old I was, when questioned he showed her the police blotter in the paper that reported that Amelia Rodriguez had been arrested for shoplifting.  I’d be lying if I said I haven’t been waiting for something like this to happen, that she would get in trouble.  This time I added the book to my holds list at the library, which is one step closer to me reading it than the book just being on my To Be Read list.

The second thing that brought me back to the book was the list of author events at one of my local Barnes and Noble and saw that Wes Moore would be coming. So this seemed like a great opportunity to do just that, so I read the book and rather quickly too. 
“Wes won­dered how two young men from the same city, who were around the same age, and even shared a name, could arrive at two com­pletely dif­fer­ent des­tinies.” – http://theotherwesmoore.com/about-the-author/
The book discusses their lives and the choices made by family members and the choices they made themselves which lead them to where they are now.  I’ve read some other reviews and quite a few people have started reading the book with the idea that the differences would out weight the similarities of these two men and in truth they really weren’t that different. The story really highlights how sometimes the course of your life is changed by only a few choices.

I question sometimes how my life would have been different had my parents not made the decision to move out of the city before I started school or if my father hadn’t of passed away when I was 16.  Would I have my masters degree in a field I think is perfect for me or would I be doing something completely different with my life. I have always wondered how my life differs or is the same to the other Amelia and what choices her parent(s) have made have changed/influenced the direction of her life.

Author Event Update:
Wes gave a great talk and it was a really interesting Q&A session.  When it was my turn to get my book signed I got to talk with him and he seemed to really listen and take in what Mom and I were saying about our relationship to the book and the story and how we feel about the importance of the book’s message.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Sophisticated Dorkiness this week This week's prompt: Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  I don't know if I can pick one favorite, I looked at my list and there are at least 10 that I really enjoyed so far this year. If I had to pick my top three they would be: Caffeinated by Murray Carpenter My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai All three of these books really caught my attention and really made me take a look at my life.  I saw how much of a caffeine addict I really am, how lucky I was to be born in the suburbs in New Jersey, and how with hard wor