Skip to main content

Book Reviews: Under the Hood and Love for Beginners by Sally Clements

Under the Hood is the first book in Sally Clements Under the Hood series. Under the Hood is an auto body shop run by three friends, Alice, Melody, and Betty.  They have started their all-female shop for women, so they have a place to take their cars to be serviced with out being made to feel inferior to the men who dominate body shops.

Alice is up first in this quick, fun, and sweet novella. She meets her neighbor Mark and believes he needs her help in fixing his car. Mark knows cars, but likes the idea of being rescued and hides his knowledge from Alice. Mark has just about convinced Alice that she can fit a relationship into her busy schedule when his business threatens their budding romance.

Mark is a divorce attorney and he represented his Aunt in her divorce from the owner of the garage that Alice and her friend are renting.  The Aunt is not thrilled with this set up and is threatening actions that would close Under the Hood. Mark now has to figure out to diffuse this situation, tell Alice he knows about cars, and manage to keep a relationship going.

Business is picking up at Under the Hood and Alice has all the work she can manage.  That's why is horrible timing when on a hike with Mark she hurts her ankle. Good thing she comes from a family of mechanics.

Next up is Love for Beginners.

Since Alice is sidelined her brother Heath shows up to help.  He's the oldest of Alice's siblings and is expected to take over his father's shop back home.  While he doesn't mind working on cars Heath's passion is photography.  He's taking this trip to help his sister as a chance to make a big move in making his passion his profession.

Melody isn't thrilled by Heath's arrival but she isn't completely upset by it either.  She thinks this is the perfect opportunity to get some experience in the physical aspect of relationships. She'll show Heath some great nature spots for his photography in exchange for some 'right now' time with him.

Heath has a chance to shoot photographs for a friend who's writing a piece for National Geographic. He really wants this opportunity but he wasn't expecting to fall for Melody. Melody is trying to balance running the business, selling her home, and taking care of her mom.  A relationship just doesn't work, but in the future she wants a committed relationship with someone who sees eye to eye with her, it doesn't even have to be physical.

Both of these stories were sweet romances. I enjoyed the break from the typical romance novels I read which sometimes seem to be sex scenes every chapter. These focused on the building of relationships and the idea that love does have a place in our crazy busy lives.  I liked that Mark was the kind of character who was okay with a woman helping and didn't try to prove macho. I thought Heath was a perfect gentleman in pursuing Melody and she wasn't the stereotypical 'ice princess' sometimes portrayed in stories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Sophisticated Dorkiness this week This week's prompt: Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  I don't know if I can pick one favorite, I looked at my list and there are at least 10 that I really enjoyed so far this year. If I had to pick my top three they would be: Caffeinated by Murray Carpenter My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai All three of these books really caught my attention and really made me take a look at my life.  I saw how much of a caffeine addict I really am, how lucky I was to be born in the suburbs in New Jersey, and how with hard wor