Skip to main content

Book Review: Of Dice and Men by David M. Ewalt


Of Dice and Men: The Story of Dungeons & Dragons and The People Who Play It
by David M. Ewalt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ebook copy from Netgalley.

Description

HERE, THERE BE DRAGONS.

Ancient red dragons with 527 hit points, +44 to attack, and a 20d10 breath weapon, to be specific. In the world of fantasy role-playing, those numbers describe a winged serpent with immense strength and the ability to spit fire. There are few beasts more powerful—just like there are few games more important than Dungeons & Dragons.

Even if you’ve never played Dungeons & Dragons, you probably know someone who has: the game has had a profound influence on our culture. Released in 1974—decades before the Internet and social media—Dungeons & Dragons inspired one of the original nerd subcultures, and is still revered by millions of fans around the world. Now the authoritative history and magic of the game are revealed by an award-winning journalist and lifelong D&D player.

In Of Dice and Men, David Ewalt recounts the development of Dungeons & Dragons from the game’s roots on the battlefields of ancient Europe, through the hysteria that linked it to satanic rituals and teen suicides, to its apotheosis as father of the modern video-game industry. As he chronicles the surprising history of the game’s origins (a history largely unknown even to hardcore players) and examines D&D’s profound impact, Ewalt weaves laser-sharp subculture analysis with his own present-day gaming experiences. An enticing blend of history, journalism, narrative, and memoir, Of Dice and Men sheds light on America’s most popular (and widely misunderstood) form of collaborative entertainment.

Review

What first drew me to this book was the title. Then I read the description of the book and I knew it was a book that I should read.  I consider myself a mini-geek.  I enjoy playing D&D but I'm by no means a hardcore player. I get lost easily with the rules and I know I don't play well crafted characters.  I love the storytelling aspect of the game, but I'm a horrible Dungeon Master. All this being said, I know very little about the history of the game. Of Dice and Men, is the kind of history book I like to read.  It approaches an interesting topic in an entertaining way.  David Ewalt's background in journalism helps gives this book an easy nature that made it enjoyable to read.  

David includes stories about his own game play and experiences in playing role playing games.  As someone who plays the game, I found the stories enjoyable and on some level relatable. For someone who hasn't played the game, I think the stories add to the description of the game development and play.  As discussed in the book, the game hasn't always been shown in the best light.  Many people don't understand and make stereotypical judgments about the game and the players.  Let's be honest, the players are heavily male and even though I am a female player I know I'm a minority in the make up of those who play. I think David's personal stories also show that players come from all different backgrounds and live all sorts of different lives.  David writes for Forbes, I'm a librarian, my friends work in retail, computer programming and a range of different professions. 

The history of the creation of the game was enlightening. I knew Gary Gygax is listed as the creator, the game came out in the 1970s, and it has gone through a few editions.  The history is so much more than that with a number of lawsuits, internal management issues, bad publicity and a number of other situations.  As TSR (the company that produced the game) grew so did their problems and eventually they sold the game to Wizards of the Coast.  As someone who only started playing since WotC ownership I was interested in knowing how the game progressed from it's humble start to the powerhouse game it is today.

I recommend this book for anyone interested in Dungeons & Dragons whether they are a player, a non-player, and especially those who have someone who plays and they want to know more about where their loved one disappears to on game night. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Sophisticated Dorkiness this week This week's prompt: Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  I don't know if I can pick one favorite, I looked at my list and there are at least 10 that I really enjoyed so far this year. If I had to pick my top three they would be: Caffeinated by Murray Carpenter My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai All three of these books really caught my attention and really made me take a look at my life.  I saw how much of a caffeine addict I really am, how lucky I was to be born in the suburbs in New Jersey, and how with hard wor