Skip to main content

3 Word Wednesday - Madly, Nocturnal, Omen


Madly, adjective: in a manner suggesting or characteristic of insanity, with extreme intensity (informal).

Nocturnal, adjective: done, occurring, or active at night.

Omen, noun: an event regarded as a portent of good or evil, prophetic significance.

This week's words worked perfectly in my writing prompt for Monday night's Writers' Group meeting.

To:                  Boss Lady
From:             Bob
Date:              January 21, 2016
Subject:        My Raise

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don’t understand why I was passed over for a raise yet again and I would like the opportunity to speak with you about this situation.



To:                  Bob
From:             Boss Lady
Date:              January 21, 2016
RE:                 My Raise

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob we’ve discussed this before last year. Please let’s not get into this again this year. When the mid-year evaluations come out we will again address the possibility of a raise.



To:                  Boss Lady
From:             Bob
Date:              January 21, 2016
RE:                 My Raise

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it was resolved last year this exchange wouldn’t be necessary, but last year, like the year before, there was no resolution to the fact that yet again I was passed over for a raise when nearly everyone around me saw the bump in the first paychecks of the year. Even Kim, who started just two years ago has already seen a pay bump while I haven’t in all the years I’ve been employed by this company.


I really thought this year I would get the raise. I had an omen, well I was always told it was an omen of good fortune when a bird poops and you and on the last payday (the one that my raise wasn’t in my check) a bird gave me a gift as I walked to work.  Yes, I was late that day, but I had to go home and change because I didn’t think you would want me in work with bird shit on my head all day. I believe you called it ‘having a professional appearance’ in our one meeting.

If this is about what happened at the holiday party, I can explain. I haven’t been sleeping well and I can’t take a sleep aid as it interferes with my other medication. So for most of December I had been binge watching television shows when I couldn’t sleep. The problem was that I was watching that zombie show and then I couldn’t sleep because I was having nightmares about zombies. So a friend suggested this game where you defeat the zombies, he thought if I played that I wouldn’t be so scared and could possible get at least a few hours of sleep. Well, then I got addicted to that game, so I really wasn’t getting any sleep. 

Now that my sleep is back on target there shouldn’t be a problem with those episodes. I should be fine for my next evaluation and hope that it will result in the raise I so greatly deserve.


To:                  Bob
From:             Boss Lady
Date:              January 21, 2016
RE:                 My Raise

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I’ve stated, this is not the time or the medium for discussing this issue, but since you insisted on persisting this conversation I will do my best to answer your question until a formal meeting can be set up. I will email you will full details of that meeting when I have them.


First, you haven’t received a raise since you started with this company because you haven’t received one evaluation where there wasn’t at least one area where you were lacking in some way. Every six month evaluation you improve on the area we last brought to your attention while declining in another area. While I can’t discuss another employee’s salary or evaluations with you, I can easily tell you that anyone who has started after you and received a raised has received that raise because they have deserved it which their evaluations have shown time and again.

Robert, your behavior is only one of the many things that are holding you back in your advancement in this company. Your habit of cornering your coworkers and going on madly about whatever is your current obsession is the least of your problems at the moment. At each evaluation we have discussed the issues and have suggested ways in which you can improve. We have tried our hardest to help you find your place within this company. I’m sorry that you feel you have been over looked time and again and we can only work together in the future to make sure that you feel as if you are not being overlooked.

As to your nocturnal activities, please keep those to yourself, even if it is binge watching television. I know this is sometimes the topics that you like to discuss but as we have talked about before a lot of your coworkers do not wish to discuss these things with you while at work.  This is a professional office and while we do discuss things other than work, please be respectful of your coworkers and their desire to not discuss certain topics.

If you wish to discuss this further we will do so in a face to face meeting, please do not respond back to this email.


To:                  Boss Lady
From:             Bob
Date:              January 21, 2016
RE:                 My Raise

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Okay mom! (See what I did there?)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Peek Inside a Book: The Hate U Give

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: The Hate U Give   by Angie Thoas It Begins:   I shouldn't have come to this party. On Page 56: Talking to Ms. Rosalie may be harder than talking to the cops, honestly. But I owe it to Khalil to pay his grandmother a visit. Verdict: This book is so popular that it has had a constant holds list since it was released in 2017. I'm currently on either my 3rd or 4th checkout and I'm finally reading the book.  All the previous checkouts I had so many things checked out that I didn't get a chance to crack the cover before my loan period was over.  I was so nervous reading it, thinking that the hype wouldn't hold up (its happened to me before) but no, this book is living up to the hype, the must deserved hype.