Skip to main content

It's Monday! What are you reading? - January 11

  


No you haven't clicked on the wrong button I'm pretty much still reading the same things I was last week.  The only change is I'm on a new season/story of Phoebe Read's a Mystery and there's a good chance by the time you are reading this post I'm on a completely different store. 

Ever since the Pandemic hit, I just haven't been in the mindset to read.  I did burn through a book this week, Bleachers by John Grisham.  It's a short story and I finished it in two sittings, it was a book club book that I forgot about, but I really enjoyed it and will recommend it to anyone who is interested in sports. 


Currently Reading:

Asher's GardenAsher's Garden by Derek Rey
Date Started: January 1, 2021
Goodreads Summary: 
Asher and his best friend, Lucie, are twelve years old and just starting the summer after their sixth grade year. After a horrific accident, Asher’s brother is locked in a coma when a mysterious businessman tries to buy the apartment building where he and Lucie live. While he and Lucie are trying to save their home, Asher discovers a secret about himself that he is afraid to reveal to Lucie; Asher can slip between this world and another world where giant bugs take on human qualities and personalities. Now Asher not only must save his own home, he must help his new friends in the Garden World protect their home from a malevolent, magical being they call the Painting Man.

Little ThoughtsI became friends with Derek on TikTok of all places.  I followed his journey of publishing his book.  I'm only a few chapters in but I'm enjoying the set up and believe I'm about to enter into the world where giant bugs rule!

Black London: Life Before EmancipationBlack London: Life Before Emancipation by Gretchen Holbrook Gerzina  
Date Started: December 31, 2020
Goodreads Summary: 
Gerzina (Vassar Coll.) has written a fascinating account of London blacks, focusing on the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Because of a paucity of sources from blacks themselves, Gerzina had to rely primarily on glimpses through white eyes, especially those of antislavery advocate Granville Sharp. Gerzina is quite adept at culling evidence of a rich, complex black life, with significant interaction (and intermarriage) with the white community. Although subjected to much discrimination, London blacks never suffered as much as their American counterparts. The author rightly concludes that blacks have played an important role in the life of London for much of its history. A very valuable work; highly recommended for major libraries.

Little ThoughtsReading this for the 1st JASNA NJ Book Discussion of 2021. Only a chapter in but really already fascinated by the information on the lives of Black people in London that is left out of so much literature and history. 


Currently Listening:

The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2) (Phoebe Reads a Mystery, #4)The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2) by Agatha Christie
Date Started: January 7, 2021
Goodreads Summary: Belgian detective Hercule Poirot is summoned to France after receiving a distressing letter with a urgent cry for help. Upon his arrival in Merlinville-sur-Mer, the investigator finds the man who penned the letter, the South American millionaire Monsieur Renauld, stabbed to death and his body flung into a freshly dug open grave on the golf course adjoining the property. Meanwhile the millionaire's wife is found bound and gagged in her room. Apparently, it seems that Renauld and his wife were victims of a failed break-in, resulting in Renauld's kidnapping and death. 

There's no lack of suspects: his wife, whose dagger served as the weapon; his embittered son, who would have killed for independence; and his mistress, who refused to be ignored - and each felt deserving of the dead man's fortune. The police think they've found the cumprit. But Poirot has his doubts. Why is the dead man wearing an overcoat that is too big for him? And who was the impassioned love-letter in the pocket for? Before Poirot can answer these questions, the case is turned upside down by the discovery of a second, identically murdered corpse...

Little Thoughts: I'm really enjoying this one except for Poirot. I'm finding him a bit full of himself and when he does his whole no no you're wrong thing it bothers me. 


Check out my Goodreads 2021 Challenge to see what I've read this year. 
Check out my Goodreads 2020 Challenge to see what I've read last year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Sophisticated Dorkiness this week This week's prompt: Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  I don't know if I can pick one favorite, I looked at my list and there are at least 10 that I really enjoyed so far this year. If I had to pick my top three they would be: Caffeinated by Murray Carpenter My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai All three of these books really caught my attention and really made me take a look at my life.  I saw how much of a caffeine addict I really am, how lucky I was to be born in the suburbs in New Jersey, and how with hard wor