Skip to main content

It's Monday! What are you reading? - February 22

 



Currently Reading:

Concrete Rose (The Hate U Give, #0)Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas
Date Started: Feb. 21
Goodreads Summary: 
International phenomenon Angie Thomas revisits Garden Heights seventeen years before the events of The Hate U Give in this searing and poignant exploration of Black boyhood and manhood.

If there’s one thing seventeen-year-old Maverick Carter knows, it’s that a real man takes care of his family. As the son of a former gang legend, Mav does that the only way he knows how: dealing for the King Lords. With this money he can help his mom, who works two jobs while his dad’s in prison.

Life’s not perfect, but with a fly girlfriend and a cousin who always has his back, Mav’s got everything under control.

Until, that is, Maverick finds out he’s a father.

Suddenly he has a baby, Seven, who depends on him for everything. But it’s not so easy to sling dope, finish school, and raise a child. So when he’s offered the chance to go straight, he takes it. In a world where he’s expected to amount to nothing, maybe Mav can prove he’s different.

When King Lord blood runs through your veins, though, you can't just walk away. Loyalty, revenge, and responsibility threaten to tear Mav apart, especially after the brutal murder of a loved one. He’ll have to figure out for himself what it really means to be a man.

Little Thoughts: I'm really enjoying Mav's story.  It was such an important character in Star's life in THUG and I did want to know more about his background. 

Currently Listening:

The Trail of the SerpentThe Trail of the Serpent by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
Date Started: Feb. 14
Goodreads Summary: 
Mary Elizabeth Braddon (1837–1915), Victorian England’s bestselling woman writer, blends Dickensian humor with chilling suspense in this “exuberantly campy” (Kirkus Reviews) mystery. The novel features Jabez North, a manipulative orphan who becomes a ruthless killer; Valerie de Cevennes, a stunning heiress who falls into North’s diabolical trap; and Mr. Peters, a mute detective who communicates his brilliant reasoning through sign language.

Little ThoughtsListening as part of Pheobe Reads a Mystery. I'm not sure where this story is going and I'm also not sure I like it, but I'm going to keep listening. 


Check out my Goodreads 2021 Challenge to see what I've read this year.

Comments

  1. Well, you're not going to get those two books mixed up! ;) I always try to listen to a very different kind of book than what I'm reading in print, too, so they don't blend together in my mind. I haven't decided whether Concrete Rose needs to go on my TBR or TBL list. (I listened to the audio of The Hate U Give, and it was really good.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! They are so different.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Interesting variety of books. The Hate U Give has been on my TBR mountain for a couple of years now. Maybe I'll get to it one day. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reading is all over the place, right now I'm just trying to get through all the books I have out from the library.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Two interesting books. The Trail of Serpents sure has some quirky sounding characters.
    Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Sophisticated Dorkiness this week This week's prompt: Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  I don't know if I can pick one favorite, I looked at my list and there are at least 10 that I really enjoyed so far this year. If I had to pick my top three they would be: Caffeinated by Murray Carpenter My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai All three of these books really caught my attention and really made me take a look at my life.  I saw how much of a caffeine addict I really am, how lucky I was to be born in the suburbs in New Jersey, and how with hard wor