Skip to main content

Gotham Writers Workshop - Write in - Sept 17th

So wasn't really thrilled with either thing I wrote last week, but at least I'm writing!


Prompt: Dear Mom


Do you remember that pool party you and dad were hosting when you dove into the pool, fully clothed to rescue the doll I pitched into the deep end on a whim when I was three?  I wanted to see if she could swim, you wanted to prevent a future meltdown when I no longer had her to cuddle to sleep.


Every observant, I’m still not sure how you noticed I had thrown it in when you were over on the other side of the backyard talking to Mrs. Cress.  But there you came out of nowhere to leap into the pool to rescue Masiey, causing quite the stir as all the guest turned to look at the commotion.  


Admittedly, I did know better than to throw her into the pool. You had warned me not to throw my toys into the pool after the incident with the barbie, and that one time with the princess crown.  They always sink to the bottom and get stuck in the filter on the floor of the deep end, and then dad has to call in a guy and something about money.


Rightly so you were furious at me.  I got dragged into the house with not a word spoken.  We marched upstairs so you could get changed.  I had to sit on the bed, not saying a word, while you asked me why I couldn’t just listen, why I always had to do the one thing I was told not to do. I had no answer, and I don’t think you really wanted me to answer. 


Maybe one day I’d have a child and that child wouldn’t listen to me, you went on lecturing me, and how would I feel if that child did something like this.  I don’t know if you really wanted an answer or if you were just letting off steam but I understand now. 


Oh yes, I understand now, as I chase my son, around the house trying in vain to get my stuff back from him. This child doesn’t care that the file he’s holding is important or that the phone is expensive. He doesn’t care, he just likes to make me chase him. 


Mom, I’m sorry. 




Prompt: The last piece of the puzzle


I had spotted the red flags shortly after we had matched on the dating site.  He was good looking so of course, I had swiped right, not expecting anything more when the screen changed to say we had matched.  Scrolling his profile, I noticed while he did have information, it was all pretty vague. I crafted a witty opening line and hit send.  He replied back almost instantly and before long we had an easy exchange going.  


After a few days of messaging over the app and we had a coffee date planned. It was my go-to, choice for a quick meet.  As always my friend was ready on standby for the emergency call in case things weren’t going well.  We ended up not needing it when just an hour before the date he messaged that a family issue had come up and he couldn’t make it.  He was sorry and we would definitely reschedule.  Life happens, it was okay. 


Then it became a thing, we’d make plans and he’d bail or he would go silent.  He’d apologize and call and we’d talk and I’d somehow not notice the large red flag flapping in my face. I should say flags because there were more and I just kept ignoring them for the easy conversation, the hey beautiful good morning texts, and all the little things I had been missing from a relationship. 


Why was I still talking with this man who clearly must be hiding something?  A random conversation with a cousin lead me to that last piece of the puzzle. The piece that held the clue to unraveling this man, the mysteriousness of him being the draw that I couldn’t turn away from. The line, “wait, I know him, isn’t he married?”


My sleuthing fingers got to work and using social media and public records I found her, his wife, and their two kids. One heated confrontation, good long cry, and a pint of ice cream later, I picked up my phone and started to swipe again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Sophisticated Dorkiness this week This week's prompt: Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  I don't know if I can pick one favorite, I looked at my list and there are at least 10 that I really enjoyed so far this year. If I had to pick my top three they would be: Caffeinated by Murray Carpenter My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai All three of these books really caught my attention and really made me take a look at my life.  I saw how much of a caffeine addict I really am, how lucky I was to be born in the suburbs in New Jersey, and how with hard wor