Skip to main content

Book Club - March

This month we read two books. Officially our book was A Man to Trust by Carrie Turansky. She asked to come to our meeting to do a book talk. It's not really our kind of book but since we are associated with the book store we can't say no, so we read it. Then we unofficially picked Engaged in Sin by Sharon Page.

Carrie did a good talk on the Christian Fiction genre and even gave out prizes. Free stuff is always a big plus with me! We got cute retro romance cover notebooks and I won a free book. I don't have it near me now so I can't remember what I won, but it looked like it could be a really great story.

A Man to TrustA Man to Trust by Carrie Turansky

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I kind of feel this book would have been a 2.5 but I rounded it up.

Characters - I liked the characters but I just didn't have a great connection with them. I feel like Adrie dragged her feet a bit much and that Ross should have pushed harder. (1/2 Star)

Plot - The story was good, I really enjoyed reading this book. However, I would have liked a little less of Adrie dragging her feet towards the relationship and maybe more back story about her missionary parents and her life there. More back story on both of them would have been great. (1/2) Star

Setting/Accuracy - As far as I know this was all accurate. I know from the book talk with Carrie Turansky she did her research into the town and the area. The only thing that got me is how they would leave their business to be run but random people and that they randomly help out. To me that's not realistic, with all the labor laws and insurance issues out there, you're not leaving a friend to watch your store. (1/2 Star)

Genre - I'm not big on Christian Fiction. This was a book club pick for our group, but I did enjoy it and I will say it was right on track with other Christian Fiction books I've read. What I did like was how Carrie didn't force the religion at you. Quite a few of the books in this genre I've read seem to force their beliefs down your throat and here I didn't find that. Even though to me the praying before every decision is a bit much, I didn't think it went too far in this book. (1 Star)

That extra something - There really wasn't anything that was extra special for me. (0 Stars)


Engaged in SinEngaged in Sin by Sharon Page

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was our independent pick for our book club pick for March. This scored 3 1/2 stars but I rounded it down because I feel the story just dragged on a bit too much.

Characters - I really liked Anne and Devon. She's been dealt a hard hand in life but she hasn't let it get her down and she's determined in all that she does (though at times I wanted to smack her and tell her to back down on the stubbornness). Devon has also been dealt a hard hand, he went off to war and was blinded, he doesn't want to face the world now and has locked himself away. Together they work, Anne helps Devon out of his funk and Devon shows Anne that she doesn't have to be strong all the time. (1 Star)

Plot - Another reviewer mentioned this story suffers from the kitchen sink syndrome. There was just too much going on with this story. The first half or so of this book was great. But as soon as they return to London it's like every other plot device she could through in got added. Did we need all that stuff with the dead friend's son or the numerous times Anne runs off, or the last 60 or so pages? It just felt like way too much going on.(1/2 Star)

Setting/Accuracy - Everything was going good in this department until we hit the sex swing. That just threw me for a loop. I don't know the history behind them and they very well could of been around then but it just didn't work for me (1/2 Star)

Genre - It worked as a Regency era historical. The only complaint I had was about the decision of two ladies running off to London with no protection, but it wasn't completely unheard of or unthinkable. (1 Star)

That extra something - This started out with that little something special. Anne was a prostitute and Devon was blind. That's right was, he got his sight back. I think the story still would have been great if he stayed blind and didn't have those kitchen sink elements in it! (1/2 Star)

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Sophisticated Dorkiness this week This week's prompt: Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  I don't know if I can pick one favorite, I looked at my list and there are at least 10 that I really enjoyed so far this year. If I had to pick my top three they would be: Caffeinated by Murray Carpenter My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai All three of these books really caught my attention and really made me take a look at my life.  I saw how much of a caffeine addict I really am, how lucky I was to be born in the suburbs in New Jersey, and how with hard wor