Skip to main content

Fitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star - Book Review

Fitzwilliam Darcy, Rock StarFitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star by Heather Lynn Rigaud
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars


At the start of August I mentioned in a guest post at Roof BeamReaders that I consider myself to be an “In betweener” when it comes to the reading of Jane Austen inspired books.  I like my books to be believable in the realm of Jane Austen’s World.  I’ve read, but not really enjoyed, some of the modern adaptations of her books (they average about 3 of 5 stars). 



That being said, this book came way out of left field for me!

To start, I was pulled in by the cover first and the premise second.  Darcy as a rock star?  I can read that!

Darcy or Will as his friends call him is a guitar virtuoso.  He lives music.  He started a band, Slurry, with his cousin Richard Fitzwilliam (drums) and his college friend Charles Bingley (guitar and vocals).  They are a huge hit, but like any rock band they come with a bad boy reputation.   They need a new opening act and in steps Long Borne Suffering an all girl band that features Jane and Lizzy Bennet and Lizzy’s friend Charlotte Lucas.

The story followed the basic plot points of Pride and Prejudice but set in the world of two bands on the road.  One band has made it and the other is on its way up in the music world.  I liked the changes in the story to fit the plot of this book. The changes really didn’t seem forced and as far as I know the story seemed believable.

As others have noted there were editing flaws with the book and there were a few sections that I had to reread because of the changing POV, which kept this from being a 5 star book.

As I finished this book I found myself surprised by how much I enjoyed reading it and how much I liked it. I normally do not like these modern day adaptations of Jane Austen stories, but this one was different.  There was something about it, but I couldn’t put my finger on it for the longest time (okay really between the time I finished reading the book and last night when I finally realized what it was).

The “it” is that in my mind, while I was reading the book, two of my top five favorite fictions male characters formed into one! Darcy (the rock star version) was a mix of the classic Mr. Darcy and Trent Lane from Daria.  As I read the book I pictured Trent as Darcy (I know he’s not the way Darcy is described in the book, but that’s who I saw in my mind while I read). 

I didn’t picture Lizzy to be Daria and I didn’t have a reference point for other characters. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Sophisticated Dorkiness this week This week's prompt: Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  I don't know if I can pick one favorite, I looked at my list and there are at least 10 that I really enjoyed so far this year. If I had to pick my top three they would be: Caffeinated by Murray Carpenter My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai All three of these books really caught my attention and really made me take a look at my life.  I saw how much of a caffeine addict I really am, how lucky I was to be born in the suburbs in New Jersey, and how with hard wor