Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
The obvious choice for this meeting would have been for someone to make Potato Peel Pie, but if you've ever looked at the recipe or read reviews of the dish you would probably veto the option just like we did and stick with our normal choices of baked goods, picky foods, and wine.
I felt like we needed to have something potato related to discuss this book and looked around online and found a number of mashed potato pie recipe ideas. I picked this one:
- instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup Romano cheese
- 1 1/4 cups mozzarella cheese ( divided)
- Make mashed potatoes according to package directions for 7-8 servings.
- Stir garlic powder, eggs, Parmesan and one cup of the mozzarella into prepared potatoes.
- Pile mixture into a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Sprinkle top with 1/4 cup of mozzarella and a sprinkle of paprika for color. Bake at 350°F until golden on top and puffy about 45 minutes.
I used four cheese instant mashed potatoes and it was delicious!
This was the perfect comfort food for the rainy (kinda snowy) night we discussed the book. We all tended to enjoy the book. I liked the format and the story. I did however find the ending kind of abrupt, it felt like it came out of no where. We wondered if the ending was due to the two authors, or if this was how it was supposed to have ended.