Skip to main content

#2018BibleRBR - Deuteronomy

RoofBeamReader

In my bible I get this in the opening of the book of Deuteronomy:
The word Deuteronomy means "second law" in Greek. ... Deuteronomy is a "second law" adapted to the new situation of a people that needs to be reminded of it's Covenant with God.
So this book is a review of the original laws and the changes that need to be made with the changes in the lives of the people now that they are reaching the promise land and they are a generation(s) out from leaving Egypt.

In the rules of teaching, the bible is a whole example of repetition, repetition, repetition. The writers really want the readers to learn the rules/morals/laws/teachings. The last three books have pretty much said the same thing over and over again.

Historical Review and Exhortation (1-4,43)
Moses is recapping everything since they've left Egypt.

God and His Covenant (4,44-11)
Reviewal of the Ten Commandments

Exposition of the Law (12-26)
New laws as they settle in the Land. My bible states this is the most important section of this book.  Again it's pretty much just a list of rules.

The part that does stick out is 24,6-25,4 this section is titled Justice, Equity, and Charity. It's so sad to read this section and see how badly we've failed to keep these laws.
When you reap the harvest in your field and overlook a sheaf there, you shall not go back to get it;...When you knock down the fruit of your olive trees, you hsall not go over the branches a second time;...When you pick your grapes, you shall not go over the vineyard a second time; let what remains be fore tha lien, the orphan and the window. For remember that you were once slaves in Egypt/ that is why I command you to observe this rule. (24,19-22)
Hmmm...

Final Words of Moses (27-34)
Moses's last will and testament.

The man lets 's loose with twelve curses.  I honestly never remember learning about this and they good! Basically, he tells them if you do any of these 12 things you will be cursed.

Then the interesting thing here is it seems that they pulled from this section for the Hail Mary. Or Luke was inspired by it and they pulled the Hail Mary from Luke.

So I wrote this last week, never finished it and I'm behind in my posting, but pretty much on target with my reading. I have no idea where I was going with this post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blind Date with a Book

Last year I put together a book display called Blind Date with a Book.  I found the idea through another librarian's post and thought it was great.  Last year I wrapped 19 books and 15 books were checked out.  We asked that people reviewed the book but unfortunately only two people returned reviews. Last year's books included: In the Hot Zone by Kevin Sites Night by Elie Wiesel Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon by Daivd Michaels Macbeth by Shakespear A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore Under the Dome by Stephen King Lawless by Nora Roberts The Sinatra Files by Tom Kuntz The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl Ford County by John Grisham The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Postmistress by Sarah Blake A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar Hide & Seek by James Patterson A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf Gorgeous East by Robert Girardi Most of these books were ones tha

Peek Inside a Book - Becoming

Book Beginnings on Friday from  Rose City Reader   The Friday 56 with  Freda's Voice . This week I'm reading: Becoming   by Michelle Obama It Begins:   Preface March 2017 When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.  On Page 56: This was the doubt that sat in my mind through student orientation, through my first sessions of high school biology and English, through my somewhat fumbling get-to-know-you conversations in the cafeteria with new friends. Not enough. Not enough.  It was doubt about where I came from and what I'd believed about myself until now. It was like a malignant cell that threatened to divide and divide again, unless I could find some way to stop it.  Verdict: I'm really enjoying this look into Michelle Obama's life. It's comforting in a way to see that she has struggled with self image, self doubt and a need to be in control in an order to comfort herself.  She talks about meeting new people while cam

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Sophisticated Dorkiness this week This week's prompt: Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November? What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  I don't know if I can pick one favorite, I looked at my list and there are at least 10 that I really enjoyed so far this year. If I had to pick my top three they would be: Caffeinated by Murray Carpenter My Beloved World by Sonya Sotomayor I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai All three of these books really caught my attention and really made me take a look at my life.  I saw how much of a caffeine addict I really am, how lucky I was to be born in the suburbs in New Jersey, and how with hard wor